Bergamot Trailplace  
An Appalachian Trail
Resource Website

Go Back   Trailplace Forums > Trail Talk > AT Trail Traditions / Quirks
Register Photos FAQ Members List Calendar Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2008, 10:58 AM

never participated in the half gallon challange. don't know if i ever will, but the only thing that comes to mind is BRAIN FREEZE!!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:08 PM

I took the half-gallon challenge on my hike in 1981. It was a true half gallon, and you had to do it in half an hour for it to be free--a most-important feature for the budget-conscious. I chose a local brand called Rakestraw, probably vanilla-chocolate-strawberry. Judging from the article, that was the first year of the challenge, but I don't think that's true. My memory tells me it was started at least the year before by Denny Shaffer, who was running the park store at that time. Denny hiked the trail in 1981, and our paths crossed a couple of times. His friend John took over the store and continued the challenge, which included making up names and posting cards of all those who succeeded. My name was "Lord High Rakestraw." A most enjoyable tradition--glad to see it has survived.

Last edited by robweisser; 08-03-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:15 AM

Default I don't recommend chocolate

I remember snarfing down a half-gallon of cherry vanilla with no problems while a friend of mine had trouble getting down a quart of chocolate. I think the problem may be that they flavor chocolate with (yuck) salt.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:29 PM

Default Wonder if Michael Phelps could do this...?

I listened to an all-news radio station talk about this recently (NPR I think).

SSgt Ray Rangel - USAF
SrA Elizabeth Loncki - USAF
PFC Adam Harris - USA
Old 09-06-2008, 10:00 PM

I finally did the "Half-Gallon Challenge" this summer. As a long distance section hiker, I've been looking forward to this unique AT hiking tradition for two years. It was a mile-stone on my hike this summer.
-
Yes, I completed the challenge. But it's sad to report that it took me an hour and 54 minutes to complete the task. But I did eat a cheeseburger and drink a large gaitoraid right afterwards. I was just sick of eating ice cream.
-
Oh, if you are wondering what flavor of ice cream.... The three flavors at once; vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate. I was afraid that if I selected a single flavor, then I'd hate it for the rest of my life.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpzuroff View Post
I finally did the "Half-Gallon Challenge" this summer. As a long distance section hiker, I've been looking forward to this unique AT hiking tradition for two years. It was a mile-stone on my hike this summer.

Yes, I completed the challenge. But it's sad to report that it took me an hour and 54 minutes to complete the task.

Oh, if you are wondering what flavor of ice cream.... The three flavors at once; vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate.

I was afraid that if I selected a single flavor, then I'd hate it for the rest of my life.
Congrats on finishing your milestone.

It does'nt matter if you beat the record, it doesnt matter if you have the new slowest record. The biggest thing is you accepted the challenge and you enjoyed yourself in competing.

Three choices are always better than one.

Now instead of one flavor to hate the rest of your life, you have three flavors to hate the rest of your life!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 03:52 PM

The 1/2 gallon is no longer free if you eat the whole thing and there is no prize if you do. It's a gimmick to sell a lot of bad ice cream. Which they do every year.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:54 PM

If it was eddy's or Turkey hill I might give it a go but hershey's should stick to chocolate.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
If it was eddy's or Turkey hill I might give it a go but hershey's should stick to chocolate.
Don't blame The Hershey Co., Hershey Creamery Co. is entirely and always has been independent. They even have to say that on their home page http://www.hersheyicecream.com/ since, although older, they have fewer lawyers to enforce the reverse.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Don't blame The Hershey Co., Hershey Creamery Co. is entirely and always has been independent. They even have to say that on their home page http://www.hersheyicecream.com/ since, although older, they have fewer lawyers to enforce the reverse.
What does Hershey being an independent Co. have to do with there ice cream being lousy?