Bergamot Trailplace  
An Appalachian Trail
Resource Website

Go Back   Trailplace Forums > Trail Talk > AT Trail Traditions / Quirks
Register Photos FAQ Members List Calendar Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2008, 01:36 PM

I seem to have a little bit different take on this. First... as to my kids with whom I hike... every day is "Hike Naked on the Internet Day," KWIM? I highly doubt anybody over the age of 6 is going to see something they've never seen before, although the reality, as opposed to the airbrushed fantasy, may be a little jarring.

Second, I seem to have read an awful lot of posts (not here, by and large) by people claiming they backpack with swords, clubs, long knives, long guns, and hand guns. I'd be MUCH more frightened to encounter someone with a visible weapon. That would spook me out, big-time.

Finally, although we've never seen anybody hiking naked, about the only thing that might make me concerned is the possibility that it's some kind of a whackjob. Somebody who thinks they're a human werewolf, or is hiding from the black helicopters, or the Second Coming - someone who might do really erratic stuff, beyond the hiking naked. But really, when you think about it, hiking naked is a very vulnerable thing to do (especially for a guy). It's just hard to wrap my head around the idea of somebody doing serious violence with no clothes on.

Just my .02,

Jane in CT
Old 11-01-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsingjane View Post
I seem to have a little bit different take on this. First... as to my kids with whom I hike... every day is "Hike Naked on the Internet Day," KWIM? I highly doubt anybody over the age of 6 is going to see something they've never seen before, although the reality, as opposed to the airbrushed fantasy, may be a little jarring.

Second, I seem to have read an awful lot of posts (not here, by and large) by people claiming they backpack with swords, clubs, long knives, long guns, and hand guns. I'd be MUCH more frightened to encounter someone with a visible weapon. That would spook me out, big-time.

Finally, although we've never seen anybody hiking naked, about the only thing that might make me concerned is the possibility that it's some kind of a whackjob. Somebody who thinks they're a human werewolf, or is hiding from the black helicopters, or the Second Coming - someone who might do really erratic stuff, beyond the hiking naked. But really, when you think about it, hiking naked is a very vulnerable thing to do (especially for a guy). It's just hard to wrap my head around the idea of somebody doing serious violence with no clothes on.

Just my .02,

Jane in CT
Jane, you are one cool and rational individual. I appreciate your openmindedness.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman1177 View Post
I had to throw this out there. I dont agree with it cuz of other ppl/hikers/famlies etc. I dont think your proving anything plus what about the skeeters and ticks? Bottom line its bad Public relations!! Lets keep it real!!
I had a lot of fun this summer, talking June 21st up. Actually, for me it was a long, 25 mile day out of Delaware Water Gap into the wilds of New Jersey. It was hot and "squitoish". I certainly wouldn't have picked that day to hike naked, if any. I did write a long and funny journal entry at the Brink Road Shelter about my "naked hike" that day, though. I wanted to give all my buddies who were behind me, something to think about!
Old 11-01-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivor Dave View Post

June 21st is the customary date for National Hike Naked Day.

IT IS??? No wonder I got weird looks from that girlscout group during a chilly, rainy day, in early April.

Thanks for telling me now....
Old 11-01-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperingwind View Post
IT IS??? No wonder I got weird looks from that girlscout group during a chilly, rainy day, in early April.

Thanks for telling me now....
For some warped reason, I might even believe that.
Next time you can PocketMail us the details.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:

Back in the 60's when my parents though long hair and Rock n' Roll was offensive, eventually they "lightened up" and accepted it as non harmful. Some folks today are still stuck in that ultra conservative mode I guess.
I am glad they lightened up on the long haired, rock n roll era. To this day, I am still a long haired(yes, I have long hair), rock n roll freak....well, classic rock, I guess that still counts!
Old 11-01-2008, 05:52 PM

Quote:
For some warped reason, I might even believe that.
Next time you can PocketMail us the details.
Better yet, next time, how bout I just post a picture of girlscouts screaming and running for cover?
Old 11-01-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperingwind View Post
Better yet, next time, how bout I just post a picture of girlscouts screaming and running for cover?

Better yet, will there be 27 8x10 color glossy photos with numbers and descriptions on the back of each one?

Yes, this is AT related since the town of Stockbridge, Massachussetts is in Lion Kings' movie Walking With Freedom.... does that count?

He He He
Not sure if the youngin's here on TP will get the joke, but I know you will you sick heathen hippie.

Way too much time on my hands today.

Last edited by Survivor Dave; 11-01-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
you sick heathen hippie.

Way too much time on my hands today.
Proud to be a hippie, I just don't know about the sick part! Unless I'm suffering from AT sickness of being away from it.

And yes, you have WAAAAAAAAAYYYY to much time on your hands....
Old 11-02-2008, 11:52 AM

So I am thinking the perfect way to indulge in this tradition is with a trio of hikers spread a coulpe of hundred yards apart. Lead and drag hikers give a warning to passiing hikers and an emergency whistle code to the center naked hiker to quickly pull on some shorts if it becomes necessary. Everybody is then happy!

BTW, the center hiker can switch out with the other two 'safeties' if they like.
To appreciate beauty;
To find the best in others;
To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson