Bergamot Trailplace  
An Appalachian Trail
Resource Website
 

Go Back   Trailplace Forums > Trail Talk > AT Trail Traditions / Quirks
Register Photos FAQ Members List Calendar Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-08-2008, 03:31 PM
4eyedbuzzard 4eyedbuzzard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angewrite View Post
The toll road and the cog should both be shut down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
Since the railroad is converting the train from coal-fired to electric, I see little reason to continue mooning it. Many did it as protest of the railroad being there and destroying the sense of wilderness - it was noisy and spewed black smoke. As an electric railroad, it will be much quieter and cleaner.
I disagree. There isn't and never was a reason to moon the Cog, whether or not it's electric, coal, deisel or whatever. It's just plain childish and rude. The auto road and cog were there long before the AT was even thought of - 1861 and 1869 respectively. In that sense, the so called wilderness on Mt Washington was gone before Benton MacKaye was even born. The AT's purpose doesn't supercede that of others. Like it or not, the mountains, parks, and forests belong to all, and hikers must share parts of them with others who access them predominantly by vehicles.
  #12  
Old 07-08-2008, 05:50 PM
angewrite's Avatar
angewrite angewrite is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vermont
Posts: 366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
I disagree. There isn't and never was a reason to moon the Cog, whether or not it's electric, coal, deisel or whatever. It's just plain childish and rude. The auto road and cog were there long before the AT was even thought of - 1861 and 1869 respectively. In that sense, the so called wilderness on Mt Washington was gone before Benton MacKaye was even born. The AT's purpose doesn't supercede that of others. Like it or not, the mountains, parks, and forests belong to all, and hikers must share parts of them with others who access them predominantly by vehicles.
Regardless, we don't have to like it.
__________________
Bobcat
2007
  #13  
Old 07-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Tin Man Tin Man is offline
Suspended Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angewrite View Post
Regardless, we don't have to like it.
You are starting to snivel.
  #14  
Old 07-08-2008, 06:30 PM
4eyedbuzzard 4eyedbuzzard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angewrite View Post
Regardless, we don't have to like it.
True. I just worry that some (not implying you) feel that protest by mooning is a good thing. All it does is gives others a bad opinion of hikers.
  #15  
Old 07-08-2008, 06:46 PM
angewrite's Avatar
angewrite angewrite is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vermont
Posts: 366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
True. I just worry that some (not implying you) feel that protest by mooning is a good thing. All it does is gives others a bad opinion of hikers.
As I said in a post that got deleted, there are other things that hikers do (most out of their control) that can and do give others a bad opinion of hikers. It's just the way things are... Mooning the cog isn't much different.
__________________
Bobcat
2007
  #16  
Old 07-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Rusty Rusty is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Posts: 54
Default

If someone moons the railway, and can establish that they are doing so sincerely to protest some aspect of it, it is possible that any ticket they get will be dismissed, sooner or later, on First Amendment grounds. To accomplish this will require real money to one of my colleagues, unless the ACLU can be convinced to do so, and they have more important fish to fry, usually. On a "paid" basis, I would ask for a retainer of around $10,000. If you want to engage in this protest and fight such a ticket, let me know; I can use work like that. As long as you're aware of the risks, one of which follows:

If it is done as a joke (including a "protest" that loses), it is likely illegal, and a ticket for indecent exposure risks - are you ready for this? It's true. Honest - having to register as a sex offender in some states, or (if you should, but don't) being arrested for violating the local "Megan's Law." This is very unpleasant, and means you will basically not be allowed to live anywhere in the US or work most places. I'm not kidding.

Rusty
  #17  
Old 07-08-2008, 07:22 PM
4eyedbuzzard 4eyedbuzzard is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angewrite View Post
My point is that it's a poor argument to say that the only reason why someone shouldn't moon the cog is because it could possibly give some random person a bad impression of hikers.
Okay, how about the fact that it's against the law.
  #18  
Old 07-08-2008, 08:32 PM
angewrite's Avatar
angewrite angewrite is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vermont
Posts: 366
Default

So here are some stats I learned. 8 hikers were ticketed in 2007 for mooning the Cog, one of which was a woman and they will all be charged in a federal court because the act took place in a National Forest.

FYI- The Cog used to be known as "The Railway to the Moon"
__________________
Bobcat
2007
  #19  
Old 07-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Rusty Rusty is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Laguna Beach, CA
Posts: 54
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angewrite View Post
So here are some stats I learned. 8 hikers were ticketed in 2007 for mooning the Cog, one of which was a woman and they will all be charged in a federal court because the act took place in a National Forest.

FYI- The Cog used to be known as "The Railway to the Moon"
It is a federal misdemeanor.

R
  #20  
Old 07-09-2008, 04:56 AM
7Sisters's Avatar
7Sisters 7Sisters is offline
Moderator / Admistrator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PA
Posts: 3,010
Default

I'm closing this thread as it has been appropriately highlighted this "tradition" is against the law and carries fines and some serious penalties.

As indicated in the read before posting thread in this section, "Do not list activities that involve illegal drugs / activities or erode the reputation of the Appalachian Trail. Events that fall into this category will be removed".

However I've left a significant amount of the discussion so future people get an understanding of this and the related consequences as it's a good learning opportunity for new hikers of the AT.

Peace be with you
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.