Bergamot Trailplace  
An Appalachian Trail
Resource Website

Go Back   Trailplace Forums > Trail Talk > Gear
Register Photos FAQ Members List Calendar Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Observer

Default rain jackets

Any opinions on the below rain jackets? I'm more or less decided on the mont-bell unless anyone has any better suggestions. The GoLite had some bad reviews. The weight of the mont-bell is listed as like 6.7 oz on their site under "specs" or whatever, but I think that's wrong and it's actually more like 10.5. Anyone know of anything lighter that doesn't suffer from the same inadequacies that the GoLite Malpais seems to? I've also decided against a poncho/pack cover dual use thing.

mont-bell versalite:
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp...9&p_id=2328276

golite malpais:
http://www.golite.com/Ms-Malpais-Tri...cket-P905.aspx

thanks
Old 04-20-2012, 01:16 PM

Somebody, I forget who, on here suggested Frog Togs. They're light and much cheaper than the alternatives. The concept is wear them until they wear out, then just throw them away and buy another. Sounded like a good idea to me so I got a jacket and a pair of pants. Haven't used them much in the middle of a drought, but they seem sturdy enough to last long enough to make them a very good deal.
Frog Togs Hiking
Old 04-20-2012, 02:42 PM

Default frog toggss

I used frog toggs for much of my AT thru hike.

They are indeed very light, very inexpensive, and also nearly useless in a prolonged downpour as they soak up the water. Then again, even gore-tex becomes useless if it rains hard enough long enough.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:10 PM

Lightbulb

I have used Frogg Toggs for the last several years and love them. I can not say how long they will hold up on a thru hike since I never had them when I did my thru. Also I am not sure about the prolonged downpour since I do not know what constitutes prolonged. I have used them for a couple of hours in heavy rain and mine did great.

Good luck on your choices and Happy Trails.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:13 PM

I used to run in Gore-tex and still have one Gore-tex running suit. I found that no matter what you've got on, if you're out in a serious rain storm you're going to get wet.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:12 AM

don't forget duct tape.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:11 PM

In the catalog for montbell the jacket is listed at 6.7 oz and the pants at 3.6 oz for size medium, Thats a good set up for for under 11 oz. I also like that the jacket has pit zips.

I've been looking at the Dynamo in the wind shell catagory. They have the jacket at 5.1 oz and the pants at 2.6 oz.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:13 PM
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
In the catalog for montbell the jacket is listed at 6.7 oz and the pants at 3.6 oz for size medium, Thats a good set up for for under 11 oz.
I was thinking the jacket was 10.5 oz itself because the description said "under 11 oz." and some reviews kind of said the same. I guess the jacket really is only 6.7 oz.

Thanks for responses.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:06 PM

Sorry if this is a little off topic but it reminded me of one of the few gear failures I had during my hike.
I was all convinced on Frogg Toggs for my thru hike. The first time I put the jacket on south of Blood Mountain, the whole arm ripped out of it. It must have been some kind of defect. I hiked into Neel's Gap, threw the Frogg away and bought a Marmot Precip and am still wearing it 4 years later.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:41 AM

I found that hiking while wearing rain gear I get as wet inside from sweat & condensation as I would if I didn't wear the rain gear.

I will hike in my shorts and T shirt in the rain and keep my rain gear for when I get to camp. Once in camp I strip off the wet clothes - put on dry and then put on the rain gear.

"Come to me, all you who are tired and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

"Encourage one another and build each other up." 1 Thesalonians 5:11

Dream Like You Will Live Forever - Live Like You Will Die Tomorrow!