Bergamot Trailplace  
An Appalachian Trail
Resource Website

Go Back   Trailplace Forums > Trails and Outdoor Literature Beyond the AT > The Long Trail
Register Photos FAQ Members List Calendar Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How much of the Long Trail in Vermont have you done?
All of it 13 44.83%
Just the AT portion 11 37.93%
All the AT and most north of Maine Junction 1 3.45%
All north of Maine Junction and parts south of Maine Junction 0 0%
Smattering - here and there 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2008, 09:27 PM

The LT isn't marked like the A.T. and with the lake effect snows from Champlain you could find 3 or more feet of fresh unconsolidated snow in December and no obvious trail to follow. One section I did near Breadloaf/Wilson had enough snow that I had to search for the summit sign that I eventually found at snow level under tree branches. I remember from the summertime the sign being at about 6' above ground level.

There was one section where I made about 1/8 of a mile per hour because every step I sank in 2-3 feet and the snow on the evergreen branches would slide off burying my snowshoes. That trip didn't last long. I did the same section in March with a crust and never broke through and made almost 2 mph. The LT doesn't get the traffic the Whites do so don't expect to find any broken trail.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:25 PM

Default 2004 thru-hike of LT

After my thru-hike of the AT in 2003, I went back in July of 2004 to thru-hike the LT in 25 days. From July 18th to August 11th. I hiked it with Shady Smurf and Deacon Blues. Both of those guys also thru-hiked the AT in '03. I hiked a lot of the trail and summited Katahdin with them. Then in 2007 we joined up again and thru-hiked the Colorado Trail.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:28 PM

Default Misspelled North in the voting segment

North is misspelled in the area where it says most of it "North" of the Maine Junction.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:25 AM

mid April thru May is mud season and hiking on the LT is officially discouraged.

I did the LT in '87 end to end. It was a 20 day trip including a day in Mass from where I was dropped off and half a day getting back to a bus (I recall reading that there is no longer a regular bus run from Newport).

I started the VT part of my trip June 1. During the trip, I had to share shelters only a few nights. Most of the time I didn't even see anyone the whole day. Only a couple days did I see crowds, one was 150 kids climbing Camels Hump.

I resupplied 2x with mail drops, once at The Inn at Long Trail, and a second time at the Jonesville store (since closed I believe).

The trail definitely changes at the AT/LT junction. The trail became narrower with more twists and turns. Not worse or better, just different.

I would recommend it for a nice month (almost) out.

chris
Old 09-10-2011, 12:43 AM

Default The Long Trail for me was a modest goal

I've always wanted to thru hhike the AT, but in my late 40's with 4 kids I knew that the LT would provide a great hiking experience that was within my grasp given the fact that I live in MA and it was a goal that could be reasonably accomplished. I started in Sept of 05 and went for 9 days going from North Adams to Killington and cut my teeth and learned some lessons about long distance backpacking. The next summer I went for three 3-day weekends including a 22 mile hike over Camels hump introducing my 15yo son to backpacing. That set me up for my last 90 miles in Sept of 06 to finish.
In all I did it in 23 glorious days. I encountered a major lightning storm on the tpity top of White Rocks mountain, got battered by 70mph winds and horizontal rain going over the top of Jay Peak culminating the trip by having a MASSIVE Bull Moose visit me the last morning at Journeys end camp as I was packing to hike out and hitch down to my car. I had many many highs and it was just a most excellent adventure. I say take your time on any hike you take and soak in all the glory !!! After all, do you really want to go back to reality that quickly. As I write this, I am preparing to go to NH to hike a 100 mile section of the AT with my now 20 y/o son. How cool is it that this kid is excited to take 9 days off to hang out and hike with his 53 y/o father. I feel humbled and blessed just to have the opportunity to hang with the kid. He is contemplating going end to end on the AT next year, but I told him if that is too much to financially pull off, put it off for a year and take on the LT.
WISHING ALL YOU FELLOW HIKERS THE BEST !!!
Peace...
Hungry Jack
Old 09-10-2011, 10:27 PM

Default timing for hiking Long Trail

I would not even attempt the Long Trail in May. There's snow melt, then mud season. The Green mountain club discourages use of trail in May because of the mud. It's not for nothing that AT hikers refer to this state as Vermud!

You could hike in June.. but you'd be a glutton for punishment to do so given the bugs and the often still we conditions.

If you had the option. I'd say September would be the ideal time. You are getting crisp cool days and the cold and snow hasn't set in yet. Bugs would be gone. The mud would also---most years-- be mostly gone by end of August. Of course that would not hold for this year (2011). august would also be a good time.. but it could be quite warm to hot then.

I don't think it matters whether you go North to south or south to north in terms of trail and weather conditions. But if you go north bound, the trail is more forgiving at first. The hardest terrain is in the north.

snickers06
Old 02-06-2012, 09:49 PM

WOW, great analogy - am a section hiker, the "down" from Moosilauke was pretty intense, in the snow and ice, BRUTAL.

Am looking forward to completing the LT after the AT - will be more skilled and hopefully in better shape and lighter.