Bergamot Trailplace  
An Appalachian Trail
Resource Website

Go Back   Trailplace Forums > Trailplace Happenings > Trail Place News
Register Photos FAQ Members List Calendar Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Sisters View Post
Want to put this out there.

The point of this was not to debate the merits of a list and if it makes sense or not. I wanted to see who would help me with the project and if folks had guidance about ways to present it or other thoughts in that vein.

I hope this helps to guide the conversation back on track.

Peace
As stated earlier, I'm happy to provide my list. Earlier, you indicated you could provide a template / format for the list. Are you still planning to do this?

QP

2010 Thru-hike
http://www.trailjournals.com/dg2010atnobo
Old 01-09-2012, 11:36 PM

7, sorry for getting off topic. I still think it's a great idea. I'll be glad to list what I used when you come up with your form. It would be a great starting point for those who choose to use it. If I could make a suggestion, have it include a section for the mistakes we've made in gear choices as well as the correct ones. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:42 AM

7Sister,

Please don't get me wrong, I don't mind helping out; maybe not with a gear list. I like to give advice for different style of hiking, some food for thought. Maybe make a comparison between some of the pro and cons for the different styles of hiking. For example a light weight backpack without a good support system may not be the best choice for someone who want to take their time and take a couple extra items. On the reverse side, a poor support system is going to encourage hikers to lighten their pack more than a comfortable pack.

Wolf
Old 01-10-2012, 11:49 PM
Moderator / Admistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterPounder View Post
As stated earlier, I'm happy to provide my list. Earlier, you indicated you could provide a template / format for the list. Are you still planning to do this?

QP
sorry for delay. yes - if you can PM me an e-mail, I'll send it over to you.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Moderator / Admistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiloby View Post
7, sorry for getting off topic. I still think it's a great idea. I'll be glad to list what I used when you come up with your form. It would be a great starting point for those who choose to use it. If I could make a suggestion, have it include a section for the mistakes we've made in gear choices as well as the correct ones. Just my 2 cents.
Wiloby,

PM me an e-mail and I'll send over the form

Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Moderator / Admistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf23000 View Post
7Sister,

Please don't get me wrong, I don't mind helping out; maybe not with a gear list. I like to give advice for different style of hiking, some food for thought. Maybe make a comparison between some of the pro and cons for the different styles of hiking. For example a light weight backpack without a good support system may not be the best choice for someone who want to take their time and take a couple extra items. On the reverse side, a poor support system is going to encourage hikers to lighten their pack more than a comfortable pack.

Wolf
That would be great. Let's talk off line.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Observer

As a beginner, I'd like to add my opinion, if I may.

Some discussion has come up that gear lists would not be productive, because everybody would just list what they have.

That's exactly what I'd like to see. A list of what you carried on a particular hike, with weights, if possible, AND if you wished you had carried something else, WHY the one you carried was not the right choice for you.

Did it fail, was it too heavy, did it not function the way you thought it would...

These are things that I'm interested in hearing about before I spend a couple hundred dollars on something that may not work, and VERY interested in learning before I'm on a trail trying to get the damned thing to work right, or quit leaking, or whatever....

I came here to learn from people who have the experience with the gear and its function in the real world. While there are many of you here with hundreds or even thousands of miles on the trail, there are some like me who are eager to learn from you.

What works, what doesn't... would you carry it again if you were making the trip again?

Share your wisdom, gurus of the trail! Us n00bs are all ears!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakjax View Post
AND if you wished you had carried something else, WHY the one you carried was not the right choice for you.
this is an excellent observation.

when someone recommends a particular piece of gear (not talking gear lists per se) you have to keep in mind that we are not consumer reports -- we don't buy 15 tents, test them, and then pick a fav. we do whatever research we can, and then buy a tent. one tent. that is the only tent we know. and this shows in gear recommendations -- almost everyone loves their gear. so you have to take any positive gear recommendation with a grain of salt -- a huge grain of salt.

however, when someone criticizes a piece of gear that they own -- now that is something to listen and pay attention to. the negative reviews are the reviews that mean the most to me.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Moderator / Admistrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHalpert View Post

however, when someone criticizes a piece of gear that they own -- now that is something to listen and pay attention to. the negative reviews are the reviews that mean the most to me.
This is one of the most important aspects of buying gear from an outfitter. If they can't tell me some concerns of issues with gear, then I tend to believe they're just trying to sell me something and I usually buy nothing.

Peace
Old 01-16-2012, 12:07 AM
Moderator / Admistrator

Just to let folks know. I've gone thru the threads and have contacted the ones that have said they'd like to help with a list. If I haven't contacted you and you wanted to help out, I apologize. Please PM me and I will e-mail you the form that I'm using.

Thanks everyone!

Tags
gear lists, user help