Bergamot Trailplace  
An Appalachian Trail
Resource Website

Go Back   Trailplace Forums > Trail Talk > AT Trail Traditions / Quirks
Register Photos FAQ Members List Calendar Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2011, 12:17 PM

Default Forget hiking naked in Switzerland!!

If you like hiking naked... then you gotta hope this doesn't come here! This is in Switzerland.
http://specials.msn.com/a-list/news/...d-hiking-fines
Old 11-19-2011, 09:04 AM

It's been an issue over there for a while, especially with the German tourists, here's another link

Swiss regions can ban naked hiking

The Swiss Federal Court has ruled that naked hiking, a very popular pursuit amongst some, offends public decency. Cantons, also known as territorial districts, will be allowed to ban the sport and impose fines on those caught wandering round in the nude.

The naturist look is becoming all the rage for hikers in Switzerland, particularly amidst the German tourists who enjoy traversing the Alps in nothing more than hiking boots and socks. However, not everyone is happy with the sight of naked walkers, and complaints have led to intervention by the courts.

In October 2009, a woman was perturbed by the sight of a male hiker wandering around in the nude near a picnic area containing young children, Swiss Info reported. Scores of other complaints followed. The canton of Appenzell Outer-Rhodes imposed a fine of $109 on the 47-year-old man, but he refused to pay it as he did not consider his behaviour had been indecent.

He appealed the fine, and this way the case came before the Federal Court in Lausanne where the judges made landmark history by decreeing that the canton of Appenzell had been correct to uphold public decency. The court issued a statement saying

"It is not overly high-handed to qualify naked hiking as a breach of decency customs" and the ban was "only a marginal infringement on personal freedom." (BBC)

Judges ruled that from now on individual cantons can ban naked hiking and apply suitable fines.

The imposition of bans and fines will leave many hikers who intend to bare all in the Alps with the need to find a new venue for their sport. Fortunately Metro reports that as well as promoting Switzerland as a place to indulge in naked hiking, France is another alternative.

Read here: http://www.digitaljournal.com/articl...#ixzz1e9xtafsg

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0302506
Old 12-12-2011, 03:10 PM

I have no moral objections to hike naked day, but IMO it as well as mooning the Cog Railway is kind of dumb and sophomoric. I also think both behaviors are bad press for the AT. It is just another thing people do like streaking that I just never have and never will see the point of. At least, it causes no harm, though I suppose if the person who is naked has a body that is particularly, what is the word, "inspiring", it could be a cause of heart palpitations.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catscradle View Post
At least, it causes no harm, though I suppose if the person who is naked has a body that is particularly, what is the word, "inspiring", it could be a cause of heart palpitations.
I crossed paths with a naked hiker. He had a fannypack that he shifted around to wear like a loincloth. I mentioned that there was a family of six about ten minutes behind me, to which he replied "Reckon I better put my drawers on". If he didn't get the heads up, there would have been two parents having an akward talk with four kids.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hiker View Post
If he didn't get the heads up.....
He did WHAT!? (snort, chuckle, short, hahaHA)
Old 01-01-2012, 05:09 AM
Suspended Account

Imagine how it must make a lone young female hiking the A.T. as she is walking along to see a nude male twice her size approach her on the trail.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyBear View Post
Imagine how it must make a lone young female hiking the A.T. as she is walking along to see a nude male twice her size approach her on the trail.

i imagine she would be quite amused
Old 06-13-2012, 01:53 AM
D3FiANC3

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Hiker View Post
I crossed paths with a naked hiker. He had a fannypack that he shifted around to wear like a loincloth. I mentioned that there was a family of six about ten minutes behind me, to which he replied "Reckon I better put my drawers on". If he didn't get the heads up, there would have been two parents having an akward talk with four kids.
If my kids were with me and I came upon said hiker, I'd make sure he thought twice about ever doing that again in an area where he might encounter those who don't share his views.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:44 PM

It may just be me...but the biggest reason I'd never hike nude in a wooded area is ticks! I'm a long sleeves/long pants/socks pulled up kind of hiker. Ticks are not my friend! The last thing I want to do is give them a nice clear zone to drop on dinner! And as pale as I am, I'd be a glowing mobile tick buffet!
Old 10-15-2012, 08:12 AM

Looks like many AT hikers are not the only "prudes"; highly "progressive" San Francisco is getting sick of all the nakked bodies. They (the nudists) should have known they were on a slippery slope when the city passed an ordinance requiring nudists place towels on chairs prior to sitting

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...928856404.html

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0302506