Bergamot Trailplace  
An Appalachian Trail
Resource Website

Go Back   Trailplace Forums > Trail Talk > AT Trail Traditions / Quirks
Register Photos FAQ Members List Calendar Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2010, 05:02 PM

Default Staying at the "Doyle Hotel/Bar"

How could we forget this place? Good, bad or indifferent alot of us stayed here. Did you stay? How was your experience? Would you stay again? Love it or hate it the trail would not be the same w/o the doyle in duncannon, its like an institution or something on the trail.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:21 PM

i stayed there and would again, although given a choice i'd rather pay more and stay at a hotel that had a/c, a swimming pool, a private bath, and a tv in the room. current rate is $25 a nite; i guess you get what you pay for.

at least there wasn't a dead body in my room.

i remember leaving the next morning and was surprised at how many people were sitting at the bar drinking at 10 a.m. i thought that was quite sad.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:25 PM

I stayed there last year. I had hot water, clean sheets, good food and gracious hosts. Well worth the stop.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:44 PM

My wife and I passed through the Doyle one day during a section hike in PA.
Realizing we'd get to Duncannon about lunch time my mantra that morning became "burger and a beer, burger and a beer, burger and a beer...." as we hiked. We arrived just around noon and went into the Doyle's bar room. There we consumed a huge lunch of burgers, salad, and cheese fries all washed down with beer. About 3 hours later we left the Doyle headed southbound and uphill out of town. As I worked up the hill my sweat even smelled like beer. While it may sound like food and beer where the high point of our stop at the hotel, that's not so. It was the attention paid to us by Vicky one of the owners. When she wasn't busy cooking she's spend time talking with us and other hikers as well as locals. I'd recommend you make at least a short stop there if for no reason other than to get your picture taken.

Last edited by LIhikers; 05-06-2010 at 05:47 PM.