Bergamot Trailplace  
An Appalachian Trail
Resource Website

Go Back   Trailplace Forums > Trail Talk > AT and Backpacking Literature
Register Photos FAQ Members List Calendar Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquabob View Post
OK....I have finished Bryson's book, A Walk In The Woods.........I didn't like it!! I didn't find it funny in the least......except when Katz was crossing the water and fell in near the end........ I have now just started Walkin' On The Happy Side Of Misery......I hope it is better than Bryson's book!! Just my .02....
A lot of people like it....but it seems most are not into hiking. I thought the funniest bit was the approach trail. After that, I don't remember much.

ALL of Model-T's books are good. He HAS walked the trail, several times, is a good writer.

Anyway, WITW is more a travel book (which is what Bryson does for a living), while other AT books are about the AT, hiking, how-to, etc. I just chaulk it up to different audiance's.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:57 AM

I believe Bryson did his hike in 1996 or sometime close to that. Never heard of other hikers from that year reporting that they camped with him or even bumped into him on the trail.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:29 AM

Well I found this post from WhiteBlaze by Lugnut 11/06/2006:

"Our buddy Bill Bryson has a new book out titled "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid". It has nothing to do with the AT but rather about his adventures growing up in Des Moines, Iowa. It seems that he and Katz have been lifelong friends and had many experiences on the streets of Des Moines. According to the review by Vick Mickunas, Katz is a real person named Matthew Angerer who has come out of anonymity and pretty much admits to being 'Katzy' both growing up in Des Moines and on the AT trip. According to Mickunas, Angerer is somewhat miffed at his portrayal in the book ' A Walk in the Woods' but is enjoying his moment in the sun, as he puts it. The book is # 6 on the New York Times best seller listing. Katz (Angerer) still lives in Des Moines."

so My previous post claiming I heard Bryson say Katz was an "alter-ego" must have ben about the Thunderbolt Kid instaed of Katz. Sorry.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:04 AM

I hate to say it, but I TOLD YOU SO!!!

Sorry...I've had way too much caffeine this morning. Probably for the best if you just ignore me all together. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokey View Post
Where did you find that info? I've seen articles where he talked about a character in Thunderbolt Kid being his alter ego, but all I've ever read about Katz(??) was that he didn't agree with Bryson's perspective of the events on the Appalachian Trail.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:39 PM

Default a walk in the woods

The opinions on this book and the many directions that it has taken is what good literature is all about. Thought provoking. My thru hike is planned for 2010 and the way life on the trail can be as described by this book made it seem more simply real. It isn't going to be easy. Sometimes the unexpected is a good thing. My plan is to begin with someone who I identify Katz with. A good friend but much on the goofy side. He is a grown up who hasn't quite reached that designation. He lacks dicipline, focus and refuses to see beyond today. Before reading this book I felt he would be to much baggage and be forever in the way. Now i feel he posses some of what it is that i have lost and perhaps is why i am planning this journey. the hard packed dirt,rock and gravel trail winds through the woods and hopfully it takes you places that are not on the map. There is always a new book just waiting to happen.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:08 AM

Personally, I thought it was a good book. It reintroduced the trail to me after many years. Until I read that book, it had been since I was in Boy Scouts that I had been on the trail. While a little satirical. It reminded me of the trail lifestyle that I had missed and craved. It made me get off my butt and get back on the trail. Perhaps it didn't offend me because I try not to take life so seriously. In my opinion, it was written all in good fun. Perhaps I could relate because I too felt like a fish out of water after so many years.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:00 PM

I enjoyed the book it was a good read, funny. it made me think of ppl or groups of ppl i met on my excursions. i agree it did taper out in the middle and i thought for sure they would've made it to Katahdin. but hey its a book take it or leave it!
Old 12-11-2009, 05:48 PM

My third time reading the book it brought me back into backpacking....took a few years hiatus where I mainly just did a lot of car camping and day hiking. Picking up that book again sent me on a tailspin right into backpacking again, and remembering what I loved about it
One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today.

Dale Carnegie
Old 11-30-2011, 02:27 AM

I'm surprised people don't like this book. It's one of the reasons I'm thinking of hiking the trail. When I was younger and in Boy Scouts, I always wanted to do it. But as I grew older, I figured it wasn't really possible. Reading his book 5 years ago made me realize that it can be done.

Don't forget, Bryson is a writer, not a hiker. Anyone that writes about a subject is going to be ridiculed by those that are experts in the subject that is being written about. Steven King could write a book about politics and political fans would nitpick about it. But the average person reading it would say "Oh I understand what he's saying." and be more interested in politics despite political fanaticals refuting what he's saying. That's not the point of a writer. The point of a writer is to get someone that wouldn't be interested under normal circumstances to become interested. A writer knows he's going to get hard core fans to read his books. He wants to catch the part of the audience that isn't hard core. In that arena, Bryson excels.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:14 AM

I read his book too and thought it was so, so. Not great and not terrible but certainly entertaining, and that's why I read. If nothing else it got me to read a few of his other books that my local library has which led me to think that he's a pretty good writter.