Bergamot Trailplace  
An Appalachian Trail
Resource Website

Go Back   Trailplace Forums > Trail Talk > AT Trail Traditions / Quirks
Register Photos FAQ Members List Calendar Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
The years my wife and I sectioned PA the best were the jugs of water that people left near road crossings. It was always very hot and a lot of the springs had dried up, as we always seem to section hike in August. Then the year we did northern CT and lower MA a family in Great Barrington took us in for a night. Showers, laundry, dinner, breakfast, and a ride back to the trail the next morning. That blew us away considering the only reason we went into town was to get a cartridge for our water filter. This year I was amazed by the "secret shelter" in Vermont. People, near the trail, have built a small shelter and privey on their own land for hikers to use. We didn't stay there but had a nice break and the privey is a work of art.
People can be so nice when and if they want to

-I believe this is a photo of that "secret shelter" LI hikers.
-It indeed was a cool place and they even had a sweet octagonal privy.
-

The owner even brought out sodas, beer, and goodies to us. Extremely nice!
**SOBO KimChee '08 on left and NOBO Bad Idea '08 on right in pic.**
Old 10-15-2008, 04:41 AM

Yep, that's VT's secret shelter.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:32 AM

Default Talk about magic!

I started my hike from Boiling Springs in mid-April and trudged to Springer. Got there on a very hot late June day. Had a train ticket north (my next section would be Hanover NH to Baxter State Park), but it was for two days later. I was hitching to Gainsville where the train station is, and a guy named Doug Shirley picked me up, heard what I was doing, and invited me to his family's home for two nights. Cooked for me, treated me great, introduced me to his 14-year-old son. Took me to an outfitter, too, and finally deposited me in Gainsville in time for the train.

How's that for magic?

Soultrek 2000
Old 04-16-2009, 09:12 PM

Default TM

I love giving fruit to thru-hikers. I will admit it is selfish in one aspect because it makes me feel good, but i also want to help them out and I know free fruit that you didn't have to carry can be a real treat. We'll also offer to carry out their trash.

Best trail magic I got was down around Blood Mountain. We got to the top of a super steep climb and found a can of peaches left trail side. They were amazing!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:21 PM

When we got done with our hike last week in Georgia, I had a cooler of soda's and water for the hikers that came through at Woody Gap. Sharing a little Magic in the form of a cold drink was AMAZING............can't wait to do it again.....................
Here is one of the pics...............100_2829.jpg
Old 05-08-2009, 04:21 PM

i don't consider hiker feeds to be trail magic. Trail genorosity, trail love for sure.

its just wierd things coming together unplanned that i call magic. Like getting a hitch in 5 minutes on a lonely low traveled road. busting out a long day that leads into the night, then you arrive at the shelter to see a fire and a beer handed to you, with a brat, then yes that is trail magic.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:30 PM

Default my two best trail magic moments

I think the best trail magic is when it is entirely unexpected. Two occasions stood out for me.

First early on, in Georgia, when I wasn't totally convinced trail magic was real. I was coming down hill to one of those gaps. It was a Sunday. Mother Nature and company where there with an entire BBQ spread! it was awesome. I chowed down so much food. Afterwards, I only had to climb up the other side, pitch my tent, then sit and watch the sunset.

Second.. I had a long hot dry hike to Max Patch. An endless series of puds and it was like 90 + degrees. It was Easter Sunday 2006. got to a dirt road just before the bald and two cars where packed. man they gave out sodas and sandwhiches and chips and candy. I think that experience made my Easter that year!

I will say also that the trail magic really declined in the northern states. Maybe less hikers. But where ever it was it was always very appreciated.

Snickers
Old 05-08-2009, 09:20 PM

The one that stood out for me was at Hogpen Gap. I had never even heard of trail magic. This was in the late 90's. Even Steven was up there handing out ice cold drinks to the hikers. He had slices of cheese for the dogs. After we talked for a while he gave me a slice of cheese and told me to add it to my ramon. An hour or two later up the trail I stopped for lunch. I put the cheese in there and it was excellent!!! It gave new life to ramon.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:38 PM

I was unfamiliar with trail magic when I did a section in 1996. I think we were at Tray Mountain Shelter, and here came 2 hikers, who had driven from Atlanta, and then climbed up the trail with their packs loaded with hot dogs, all the fixings and cans of soda. Enough for all! That was great!
Old 05-08-2009, 10:42 PM

That would be some good magic. I've never come across one of the roadside feeds. The closest I came to one at a shelter was a few sodas sitting in the stream. That was much needed on that hot, humid day.